Everyone has bad days at work and sometimes we said something hurtful to our colleagues unintentionally when we are so frustrated because we just can’t hold it in. Bosses too! Things that they said can be misconstrued due to miscommunication and leave a sour taste in an employee’s mouth. Watch out! Here are some of the things your employees hate to hear from you.
1. If you don’t like it, I will find someone who does.
Are you trying to threaten me that I will be fired anytime?
2. I practice favouritism here. So what?!
Ok, then get your blue-eyed boy to do all the work for you!
3. You’re the worst employee ever!
I think you have not seen the worst.
4. Don’t do the things that are correct. Just do the things that I like.
So, am I being paid to please you and not to add value to the company?
5. You are the only one who has a problem with this.
Boss, do you even understand all the issues that I’ve gone through before making such a comment?
6. I have no idea how to fix this. Can you do it first?
Can you pay me half of your salary first and I’ll do it for you?
7. I’m not sure. How ah? What do you think I should do?
If I can think like a boss, I won’t be your staff here today.
8. The company is undergoing a cost-cutting initiative. Just to let you know that there won’t be any staff promotion exercise this year.
Since there’s no promotion, are you trying to hint that I don’t need to work so hard this year?
9. We have always done it this way. Make sure you follow.
Why can’t you give me a chance to make things more efficient? Resistance to change will only get you to nowhere.
10. You are doing such a great job and have made my life so much easier. I feel like I’m having a honeymoon here.
I’m confused! Are you praising me or trying to tell the whole world that your work is easy?
As a boss, be sensitive to your employees’ feelings. Think before you speak especially if you want them to enjoy working as well as working hard for you.