We often hear from people around us about how they try to avoid summons by the authorities. These are some of the commonly used excuses, but not sure what are the actual probabilities of success though.
1) I wasn’t aware that my road tax has expired.
It may make sense since none of us will be checking our road tax every single day.
2) I wasn’t paying attention to my dashboard.
Make the police believe that you were so focused on the road and didn't realise you were speeding.
3) I’m not familiar with this area. Didn’t know I exceeded the speed limit.
If you are new to the area and you can't find any signage indicating the speed limit that may work.
4) I've got no money to pay summon.
But if you are driving a luxury car, it may not sound convincing.
5) I’m rushing to the hospital to see my granny.
Using emergency as an excuse will work at times.
6) I’m so sick, I need to rush to the clinic.
Use this if only you have a good acting skill.
7) I could not check the 3rd brake light myself so I wouldn’t know it wasn’t working.
There may be a chance that the police will let you go if that's your first experience. Nevertheless, better get your light fix quickly as this will affect other drivers on the road too.